- what they say: It's just the internet!! Don't take it seriously!
- what they mean: I really love the idea of a social environment where I can be as gross and bigoted as I want and not be held accountable for it, please don't take that away from me
Folks “refuting” the wage gap seem to have a few main points:
1) Women work jobs that pay less.
2) Women work jobs in fields that pay less.
3) Women with the same job title as men make close to as much money.
4) Women work fewer hours.
Can I just point out that this still constitutes a systemic trend that results in the economic domination of men? You cannot attribute social trends to individual agency. You can’t attribute to agency or coincidence that fields that overwhelmingly staffed by women pay less, that job titles in similar fields that are roughly equivalent but gender segregated have significant discrepancies in pay, gendered gaps in promotions, the time available to men and women and the social acceptability of them committing time to work varying, or any of the other things they claim justify the gap.
So, calling it a “wage gap” is an oversimplification. They’re right on that.
But the issue isn’t that it creates a problem where there isn’t one. It’s that it vastly understates the problem.
This isn’t just an issue of gaps in pay among people in similar circumstances; it’s an issue of an economic system, cultural values, and deeply ingrained biases that make the odds of similar circumstances occurring damn near zero.
The only reason Dylan Sprouse can make self-deprecating jokes about the leak of his nudes is because the media isn’t already tearing strips off him. It’s easier to make light of something (which admittedly is a horrible violation) when it isn’t being presented as a character flaw that has made you irredeemable.
more benefits to being a cat
- loved at any weight
- its not weird if you’re awake in the middle of the night
- people believe you when you say the gender of a cat no matter what it looks like
- no one judges you for not showering or leaving the house
- you can just leave in the middle of an interaction
- no deadlines or bills
- not expected to wear clothing
- not cold if naked
- if you do wear clothing you will be considered 500% cute no matter what
- cute whiskers
- super flexible